Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Source of Energy

This morning, as I was cleaning up in the kitchen after our morning breakfast, Niranjan asked me, "where do you get so much energy from". Now, if you think about this question, there are several ways I could have answered. Nevertheless, my answer to this simple yet poignant question was "I get energy from what I eat" !! I know, I know. I'm rolling my eyes too.

The minute I blurted this out, an imaginary buzzer went off in the frontal lobe of my cerebrum and said, the correct answer is . . . Unfortunately, the context was such that there was no opportunity for the poser of this question to ask me, "are you sure? lock kar diya jaye?". So, now the moment has passed but it gave enough of fodder for the scrupulous part of my brain.

What is the source of our energy? I do not mean the nuclear, thermal, tidal, hydro or wind and neither do I mean the text book answer that I gave Niranjan - "Glucose and carbohydrates are the primary source of human energy". If glucose could weave the magic, there would have been a booming business of manufacturing glucose and you'd see ads for Glucose in the lines of Sachin Tendulkar saying "Glucose is the secret of my energy" and Kapil Dev adding "our energy". If Glucose could do the trick, why is that only few people have scaled the Mt. Everest? How do people accomplish some of the seemingly insurmountable tasks? Definitely, the glucose and carbohydrates were corroborated with someother ingredient.

So, what is the source of my energy? A restful sleep? A morning cuppa chai? The drive to complete all work? I look back at the normal activities on a normal morning and realize, I prepare breakfast, lunch, run a load of laundry, clean the house and after this if I get to see appreciative look from Niranjan, I get energized to do the next round of activities. So, is the source of energy our need to please someone, even if that someone was ourselves, sometimes? Should I have told Niranjan that my source of energy is him? The moment ofcourse has passed but the thought remains.

No comments: